16 July 2009

Future Plans

I would like to begin by apologizing. I have had a few crises in my life the last two weeks and they have affected my level of participation. I know everyone gets busy, and I am not trying to excuse myself; but things have been exceptionally dismal for me lately and I am sorry I haven't posted anything.

That being said, I have also decided to change things up a bit. I am tired of our blog together being so formal and dry. For my part, I'm going to attempt a change of philosophy. From now on, if no one has any suggestions or questions, I'll simply blog whatever I feel like saying. I'll try to keep it relevant for you, but I don't want to continue to post essay-like content! We should all agree there should be some structure, but let’s try to venture outside our weekly monotone dialogue! Also, thank you Devon for posting your own stuff. This blog is for all of us and you can post items also.

This week, since there has been so much legislative changes (and subsequently news coverage) for the healthcare field, I'd like to discuss that a little.


  • Senator Kennedy's bill for the nation's healthcare reform passed the committee vote. Also in health news, a proposed bill to make employers cover health insurance for their employees or pay a fee is in talks.
  • What do you think? Is there anything else in the news you would like to discuss that relates to our major concentration areas or minor?

This post is called future plans not only because it covers the upcoming changes for this blog, but also because I am interested to hear about your future plans. Thank you for those of you who responded to the email I sent; but after graduation, do you intend to enter the workforce or attend graduate school? Also, what does your future career entail: not just job title, but also I'd be interested to hear a typical day of what you want to do.

  • For me, my future plans lie with traveling and graduate school. After this semester, I'll be traveling to the Middle East and to Southeast Asia (again)! I'm applying to graduate school for next year, so I'll also be working. I plan to apply to the Anthropology program. Mostly I want to teach and do consulting work. Archeology holds little viable opportunities for me, so I will probably look into cultural or social anthropology. For the next year, however, I intend to continue working where I am.

Anyway, share your thoughts, opinions, and suggestions. Again, sorry for being so late!!!

3 comments:

  1. I would really like to get my degree out of the way, and concentrate on starting my family. I am 29 years old, and I feel like I am choosing a new path for myself. I have lived in New York City and Los Angeles working as an actress. I moved back to Orlando a few years ago and got married last year. Since I am back in Orlando I wanted to finish my degree and try to start my buisness as a wedding planner. I would love for my future to be working as a wedding planner and raising children with my wonderful husband.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dori,

    It sounds like you've had a great life so far! It's nice to hear you are finishing your degree and are going to focus on your family. One thing I noticed and think is great is the fact that you don't diminish the rank of being family-oriented versus being career oriented. This is a positive aspect that I think more people need to exhibit!

    Thanks, Karyn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think at this point I'm going to stop with my education after I graduate in December, I have been in school full time for the past 6 years earning various degrees. Needless to say, I'm spent, I need a break and the more I have been looking into graduate programs I realize that it's only going to cause so much more stress.

    I would like to get a career under way and focus on other things before graduate school. I've also talked to some employers who don't hire people with master's degrees because they feel that in this field they are over qualified and believe they won't be able to pay them fairly.

    ReplyDelete