14 June 2009

Dori Dietrick

Name: Dori Dietrick

Preferred email account: Dori.Dietrick@gmail.com

What are your areas of concentration for IDS major? What is your minor? Major: Behavioral & Social Sciences and Health. Minor: Criminal Justice

When do you anticipate graduating? Fall 2009

What's your favorite subject of study and your least favorite? My favorite subject of study is Behavioral and Social Sciences, my least favorite would have to be Math.

Want to share your age? I just turned 29 last week.

If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would you go? New Zealand

Do you have any pets? A Yorkshire Terrier.

What's your favorite book & movie? The Notebook.

What's your favorite food/dining experience? My favorite type of food is Mexican. My favorite dining experience would be Cerviche, my husband brought me there last week for my birthday. It is a tapas place, so we got to try all kinds of different things.

What do you like to do for fun? Any hobbies? Work pretty much consumes my life. But, when I get free time, I love to go to the beach, travel, do landscape photography, and relax with my husband and family.

Beach, mountains, or city? That is a hard one. I love them all. I lived in LA and NYC and had an amazing time in the big city life and I love the beach, but I think I would say the mountains are my favorite. It is so nice to be surrounded by nature and it so beautiful in the mountains.

How many other classes are you taking & what other obligations do you have? Would you like to share anything else? I am taking three classes this summer and three in the fall and will graduate in the fall. I also work full-time with a lot of overtime. It is going to be a rough summer and fall, but I know it will all be worth it when I graduate.

Activity #1: MapQuestI’d like you to go to www.mapquest.com and find a not well known town in any US state. Identify how far it is from Orlando, Florida. Find two to three interesting facts about the town to share with us.

The town that I found is Helen, GA. Helen is 521 miles from Orlando, Florida. Helen is full of import stores and the architecture of the buildings are similar to a Bavarian town. There is horseback riding, river tubing, canoeing, fishing, mountain biking and tons more outdoor activities. http://www.helengeorgia.com/

Activity #2: Wal-MartOK, we’ve all been to a Wal-Mart. I want you to provide three items that can be found in a Wal-Mart that describe you in some way. Please give a reason as to why the item describes you. www.walmart.com

Memory cards for my camera. I love photography, so I am always buying them because I take tons of pictures.
DVD’s. I love to lounge around the house with my husband in my free time and watch movies.
Hand Sanitizer. I work in clinical research dealing with infectious disease, so I am very cautious of the spread of germs.The following are questions I’d like you to answer:

What made you choose interdisciplinary studies as a major?
I chose interdisciplinary studies as a major because I like the fact that I can basically personalize my major.

For what reasons did you decide on your focuses/minor?
My minor is criminal justice. I have an interest in why criminals are incarcerated, and how it mentally affects them once they are socialized in prison.

Have you had experience with online learning before?
Yes, I have taken a few online courses at UCF.

What concerns do you have about online learning?
I really don’t have any real concerns with online learning. I feel like education is evolving.

Do you think the interaction between Cornerstone & Capstone students will be useful?
I think it will be very helpful. Anytime a student can learn something from another student that already has the experience I feel like it is very useful.

How productive do you think the mode of delivery (i.e.: blogging) will be?
I think blogging should be very productive. It allows you to stay involved in what you are doing with someone with experience. This is the first time I have ever done something like this, but I am excited to try it.

What is your grade level (Freshman - Senior)? Any further questions or comments?
I am a senior!

3 comments:

  1. I didn't answer the last questions because I thought those were going to be some of the weekly questions, should I repost?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I suprised that we have the same Majors and minor! Usually I see that people have one or the other but it's interesting to see that we have the same area's of focus. What are you planning on doing with your degree once you are finished?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, it took me so long to reply to you. This blogging is new to me, I just now saw your comment. As far as what I am planning on doing with my degree once I am finished, I am still undecided. I work now doing clinical research, but I am looking into trying something different. I am hoping to figure it out soon because I will be graduating in the fall. What do you plan on doing once you get your degree?

    ReplyDelete