27 May 2009

Welcome!

Thank you for joining my Capstone blog for UCF! I hope I can assist you in your journey through interdisciplinary studies.

Since we're just getting to know each other, I thought we could engage in a little activity to learn more. I’d like to provide you with a little introduction to myself. Some of the questions are straightforward and some are a little fun. Any further information you can find on my blogger profile or simply by asking. There are also two small activities and a few more questions at the end that I’d like you to complete. Then just copy the questions & activities, paste them in a word document and change the answers. Onc you’re done, just post it (keep in mind the formatting may change so please review your response before submitting it!)


Name: Karyn Leger (it’s pronounced the same as Karen but my grandmother decided to be playful with the spelling!)

Preferred email account: I set up an email for this class and blogging communication at the following: kl.capstone@gmail.com. An alternative email is kleger@knights.ucf.edu. I’ll generally respond to emails within 48 hours (barring any unforeseen circumstances).

What are your areas of concentration for IDS major? What is your minor? Health/Behavioural & Social Sciences & Religion, respectively

When do you anticipate graduating? Summer 09

What's your favourite subject of study and your least favourite? Religion/Philosophy/Humanities & Physics, respectively

Want to share your age? 26 this month.

If you could travel to anywhere in the world, where would you go? I love Malaysia & Singapore. This year I’m going to Egypt; but I’d like to visit France & Spain.

Do you have any pets? A cat, but she lives with my mother because I can’t have any pets in the condo I’m renting.

What's your favourite book & movie? I’m currently reading a book called Palace Walk by an Egyptian author. I also like Jane Austen and Dr. Seuss! I have to admit, I’m a little behind the times with television and movies. For example, I just saw the first Night at the Museum! I do like the Transporter movie, though; but mostly comedies.

What's your favourite food/dining experience? While I was in Thailand, I ate all kinds of desserts that I don’t really know what was in them (except that they contained fruits & veggies). Nonetheless, they were delicious. ;)

What do you like to do for fun? Any hobbies? Besides work??? … I like to try new things & I really love to travel. Also, I used to play and coach soccer, but gave it up coaching this year to finish off my BA.

Beach, mountains, or city? City. I used to live in NYC and miss it so much. I live on the beach now and it not only smells like dead fish but also the salt kills everything. As for the mountains: been there, didn’t like the cold (although I love the snow!)

How many other classes are you taking & what other obligations do you have? Would you like to share anything else? I’m taking a total of 4 classes this summer so I can graduate in August. Besides school, I also work part-time at night (so I may post at odd hours). Other than that, I spend time with my family and any new activities I take up. I should also let you know that I don’t live in Orlando. I live in Satellite Beach (which is next to Melbourne). I actually have only been to the Orlando campus twice (once for orientation and another time to take my nephew to visit the campus as a prospective student)!

Activity #1: MapQuest
I’d like you to go to
www.mapquest.com and find a not well known town in any US state. Identify how far it is from Orlando, Florida. Find two to three interesting facts about the town to share with us.

I located Telluride, Colorado, which is 2062.20 miles from Orlando. Situated in the San Juan Mountains, Telluride began as a mining community being named after the element tellurium which was never actually found in the surrounding mountains. Telluride hosts a several festivals, one being an annual bluegrass festival! It is sort of like the Woodstock of bluegrass, jazz, blues, etc. Now mostly a ski, spa and outdoor activities town, Telluride rests at 8,750 ft! Find out more at http://www.telluride.com.

Activity #2: Wal-Mart
OK, we’ve all been to a Wal-Mart. I want you to provide three items that can be found in a Wal-Mart that describe you in some way. Please give a reason as to why the item describes you.
www.walmart.com

Bounce Rooms: remember jumping and playing in those inflatable bounce rooms as a kid? Well, Brevard County has an annual Indiafest which I go to with my nephews. It’s a good way for them to experience another culture’s music, food, history and customs. There, they also have inflatable bounce rooms which we just love! I believe you’re never too old to be a kid!

Photo Frames: I love taking photos. Birthdays, trips to the park and – of course – vacations all end in hundreds of photos! Most of my photography involves architecture. Though I don’t publish any of my photos, I do frame them constantly and give them to my family and friends.

OTC Medication: Let’s face it, the price of medications these days is almost as much as buying a house! So for routine over-the-counter medications I buy in bulk at Wal-Mart. Then I give them to my mother, sisters, and co-workers! Any help I can give them (and at a discount) is worth it!

The following are questions I’d like you to answer: What made you choose interdisciplinary studies as a major? For what reasons did you decide on your focuses/minor? Have you had experience with online learning before? What concerns do you have about online learning? Do you think the interaction between Cornerstone & Capstone students will be useful? How productive do you think the mode of delivery (i.e.: blogging) will be? What is your grade level (Freshman - Senior)? Any further questions or comments?

***Though I will choose the discussion topic of the week, I would love to hear your concerns and questions. Therefore, any suggestions for weekly discussion topics or questions please send them to me by Sunday or Monday morning at the latest. If any questions come up at any time, remember you can email me.

I look forward to communicating with you regarding concerns or experiences you may have. Good luck and I hope you enjoy reading what I have to offer!

Thank you, Karyn.

No comments:

Post a Comment